Saturday, August 15, 2009

It Could Always Be Worse!


When my children were small and I spent all day and night reading them books, we had the inevitable favorite few. The titles are too many to list. I was a big fan of classic nursery rhymes, fairy tales and fables. I loved the Berenstein Bears series, due to the "lessons of life" themes. When Brynn was a precocious 2 year old, she would respond to gentle prompting and recite an entire book of nursery rhymes to anyone that would ask. We thought she was a genius!

One of my favorites, was a simple book, based on a Jewish folk tale. One family laments their circumstances and focuses on the negative. The wise Jewish Rabbi admonishes them, "It could always be worse." With every turn of the page, the circumstances get progressively more difficult. The moral of the story- appreciate where you are and deal with it- it could always get worse.

I have learned that Brynn has lost her job as of September. She is moving home and joining the band of unemployed on Dove Hollow road. How long can we keep this flophouse up and running?
Empty gas tanks and mouths to feed. How can we see this as a blessing in disguise? Any suggestions?

I have a few hours of work each week in the home of three clients. I am a personal chef for one family. Personal organizer for another lady and personal health aide for another. This provides gas and groceries. We are living lean. That's good. I try to stay away from the imaginings of our future. Living in the moment and having enough for today, right now is all I have the stamina for.

The nature of helping people in their home is that it is tenuous at best. If someone becomes ill or takes a fall, everything changes. I have always been a person that likes a schedule. I am learning to fly by the seat of my pants here. I am an old dog learning new tricks! Woof, woof. It could always be worse...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the intrusion Marsha, but thought I'd make a suggestion. Never in my life did I think I'd be working retail, but I am currently working for the Fresh and Easy Neighborhood Market chain. Thank heavens for the Brits keeping Americans employed! I see that there is a customer service opening at the Escondido store which I think is possibly about 15 miles (or less) from Encinitas. The pay isn't all that great, but they offer a very nice and reasonable benefit package after 20 hours (you do have to wait the 90 day before you are eligible) The food specials and savings are incredible if you aren't familiar with that grocery store. Again, working retail was never what I thought I'd be doing, but I feel grateful for being employed in this economy and also for being able to work at Fresh and Easy. Nice company, good people. You're in my thoughts and prayers. Karen

Anonymous said...

oh mommy-
my 2 favorite parts= 'we thought she was a genius!'
duh, I AM OF COURSE! lol
and announcing to the world my poor status, who wants Brynn for hire?!
u know i have even started thinking about Michigan jobs if O'ahu doesn't work out. at least there are ample couches there for my soon to be couch surfing lifestyle : )
love u,
STRESS-LESS !
xoxxo