Monday, September 8, 2008

It's "Back to" Time


September is here again. Where does the time go? Another new school year for my youngest son. My daughter's senior year of college. If any of you are involved in school as a student, teacher or volunteer, you feel the energy that results from going back to school.

I love that energy. If you are a member of a church, temple or any institute that is tied into a school year calendar- this month your schedule resumes. I am a community organizer! The community may be the school, church, home, guilds or organizations. New clothes, new supplies, paperwork and plans. I feel called to a renewed sense of purpose. The urge to wear knee socks and fresh penny loafers overwhelms me. How about the smell of new markers! Now, that's a high.

Even year round commitments ramp up as we slip and slide toward the holiday season. Here we go again with fundraisers, preparations for the coming winter, closet cleaning and party planning are full steam ahead. We citizens of the USA are in the midst of a political season that is one of the most interesting and meaningful elections I have lived through. Regardless of your political affiliation, I hope we can agree that our vote has never been more vital. Here is my plug- please vote. Remember, it is done confidentially to protect our rights. As a patriotic person I challenge you to vote with personal conviction and respect the rights of others to do the same.

Knitting gifts require my full time, free time energy.Preparing for the coming winter is my priority. This year of economic challenges, requires me to make more gifts than usual for my extended family and friends. The list gets smaller every year, as a result of maturity, not just financial consideration. We realize that the greatest gift we can give is the gift of time. We cashed in on that this year with the wedding and family reunion. The memories made will sustain us for a long time. Seeing my little boy at 6' 2", standing next to his 4'9" Grandma, is a gift I cherish.

So, get back to your schedules. Do it with a renewed sense of excitement for a new year. Get back to planning and get back to work. Get back to the recreation that balances you. For me, that is knitting. Get back to creating something that gives you that sensation of anticipation. The "back to" feeling that you feel with every new project you start. Next time I'll talk about how good it is to feel the "job well done". Full circle to completion and fulfillment...

No comments: