Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Going Nowhere Fast


I last left you in throes of planning my expedition to Traverse City. The temperature went from 45 degrees and rain, to 28 and snow. Fluffy and fast. By midnight, there was 4 inches on the ground.

By morning, there was a foot. State troopers closed several highways due to high winds with drifting snow. The schools were closed and the wind was wicked. A Snow Emergency had been declared. I watched the weather station continuously, ( a popular pastime in the snow belt) for any signs of abatement.

The sun broke through at lunch, so I decided at 1 pm to try shoveling out the car. The doors were frozen shut. A few whacks with the broom sorted that out. I put my back into the snow shovel and dug that Jeep loose. Aunt Lois watched with amusement as I packed and showered.

It was time to take a test run on the country lane to the 2 lane highway 1/4 mile up the hill. No problem driving, great traction and grip. Visibility was 20 feet or so. As I drove up the road, out of the hollow, the whiteout occurred. I could not see in any direction. As I stared and strained to see the road, a UPS truck appeared to my right from the swirl of white. The drifts were too high to make a turn around. I opened the driver door, put it in reverse and BACKED the car down the road and parked that sucker in the drift. I walked through the door and admitted defeat. Lois laughed and went to the freezer to thaw a roast for dinner. I brought in the next armful of wood and stoked the fire.

I pulled out a ball of yarn and cast on 130 stitches and began the K2, P2 scarf. Soon it would be time for a glass of wine and another delicious dinner. Local Buffalo provided the roast in the oven. Northern MI has many herds of Bison being raised for the meat. In the tradition of the American Indian, every part of the animal is to be used. The horns make buttons, the down is yarn, the hides are shelter and clothing, and the meat is lean and delicious. Lois plans to speak to the owner of the local herd to see if they harvest the down for yarn. It costs dearly and I have one precious skein in my stash. For an excellent discussion and review of Buffalo yarn please link to Knitters Review. My apologies to the vegetarians...

No comments: