Monday, January 31, 2011

Cooking Up Some Comfort Food















Today was my get organized at home day. I do laundry, hit the laptop, and cook for my family.
I also cook for my clients and special occasions. I like to cook in batches.

Tomorrow is my monthly book club meeting. We discuss the book and then have a potluck lunch. One of our members brought a large shopping bag full of butternut squash from her garden. I volunteered to make soup for all of us to go along with our pot luck salad. I wanted to show you what I made before I went to the grocery store to get the ingredients for the special meals I need to make.

The soup recipe is as follows:

BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP

2 1/2 lb butternut squash
2 T olive oil
1 1/2 C chopped onions
2 T dry sherry
1 3/4 C chicken or veg broth
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp salt
1/4 fresh ground pepper
Pinch of cayenne powder
1 C whole milk or half and half
2 T minced chives

1 butternut squash (2 1/2 lb) bake whole with the skin on for 1 1/2 hrs at 400 degrees
Cool and then peel and de-seed. Set aside clean squash.

Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over med heat for 30 seconds. Add the chopped onion and cook until tender- approx 4 mins. Add the sherry and then the squash. Mash the squash.

Increase the heat to high and add the broth, thyme, salt, pepper and cayenne to the pot. Bring to a boil. lower to medium and stir well. Turn heat off and allow to cool slightly.

Transfer the squash mixture to the blender in small batches and blend until very smooth, about one minute, adding milk if necessary to aide in pureeing. return soup to the pot stir in milk or cream over low heat- do not boil. Season to taste. Serve with minced chives.

This is hearty and delicious served with garlic bread and salad for a meal!

No comments: