Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I Cannot Make This Stuff UP!!!!

Unique Tampon Angel

By: Ada Barber, Guest Contributor













Our guest contributor has a very unique craft. This is her story: Some people think this is great, others think it is gross and ridiculous… but I am a big fan of the tampon angel. A few years ago when I had my first Christmas tree, I had a trim-the-tree party and invited my friends over to make crafts to decorate the tree with. A lot of them were scared of being crafty, so I had some pretty easy ideas for them. My favorite was the tampon angel. Certain brands work better – I think ended up deciding Playtex worked best because it doesn’t just expand into a big rectangle.

Materials:

  • Playtex Tampons
  • Bowl of Water
  • Starch
  • Wooden Bead
  • Hot Glue
  • Fine-Tipped Markers
  • Metallic Pipe Cleaners
  • Wired Ribbon
  • Bows
  • Glitter

Steps:

  1. You start by taking the tampon out of the applicator and wetting it. I usually use a bowl of water with a little starch mixed in.
  2. Then you can shape the angel “dress.”
  3. I use a wooden bead for the head and thread the string through. You can use a little hot glue to keep the head facing the right direction.
  4. We used fine-tipped markers to draw the face in and metallic pipe cleaners to make halos.
  5. You can add yarn hair but most of my friends didn’t get that far.
  6. For wings, we tied pieces of wired ribbon in the middle to make a knot or used bows and hot glued them to the back of the angel. You can cut the ribbon to make it wing-shaped or leave it in a bow.
  7. Some people glittered theirs, others left them pretty plain.
  8. But overall, it is a very easy craft and I still hang them on my Christmas tree.

No comments: