Wednesday, February 23, 2011

BABY BOY GIFT




I knit a hat with a ball of yarn handed out at TNNA as a sample. It is a soft cotton with a touch of nylon for wash-ability. The colorway was a perfect match with the little T-shirt that I found at Nordstrom's. I made the pattern up as I went, adding removable ear-flaps that tie under baby's chin. You can roll up the brim when the baby is small and roll the brim down for a beanie as the baby matures. I love the waves of color created.

Cast on 72 sts to a 16" circular needles, size 9. Knit in the round for 5 inches. Begin decrease- knit 16, K2tog for one round; K15, K2tog for next round; K14, K2tog for next round and continue until the crown of the cap is shaped. When 8 sts remain, K2tog across and then thread yarn onto a needle and draw through the 4 sts and close the top of the hat.

Using 2 double point needles, I picked up 14 sts on each side of the hat. Place the flaps remembering that the forehead is bigger than the nape of the neck. I eyeball it.Knit 14 sts in stockinette for 4 rows. Next row: Knit 1, k2tog, k 8, k2tog, k1. Purl one row. Decrease again the same as the last row until 6 sts remain. K 2 tog- now 3 sts remain. Make an i-cord that is 10 inches long with the 3 sts. Final row- k2tog, k1. cut yarn and thread through 2 remaining stitches. You are done!

No comments: