Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Moonlight Beach, Encinitas CA



I live in a beautiful part of the country. This is Moonlight Beach. It is a ten minute drive from my house. I like to take a cup of coffee, sit and sip, think, pray, cry, talk on my cell, watch the surfers and swimmers. I observe life and contemplate here.

Even on an overcast day the beach has visitors. I can park my car in the free lot, then walk a mile north and back a mile south for a perfect workout on the sand. Sometimes I pass another walker, sometimes I do not. I am active here.

Last week I watched a lifeguard push out a sand wheelchair to the beach break, knee deep. The man in the chair let a wave carry him away. Off he swam using the upper portion of his body to swim and be free. I felt a little voyeuristic watching this man undergo a transformation from handicapped to whole. It was intimate and a privilege to see.

At any given moment we use so little of the amazing resources we have at hand.

I want to call upon my hidden strength. I want to use the deeper resources. I want to live life with an appreciation and a purpose that leaves no time for fear or regrets. Tenderhearted, fearless and grateful. Carve that on my tombstone- it would be a fine tribute to the woman I hope to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tenderhearted, fearless and grateful...
While it would be a fitting tribute for your tombstone, it also sounds like a perfect mantra for you to repeat with every day! You will succeed!!!