Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Artsy Fartsy



I have always had the urge to create beautiful (in my eyes) objects d'art. Knitting is a creative, meditative outlet that produces functional art. I have, since childhood, been an amateur painter, potter, sketcher, writer, poet, cook, scrap booker and crafter of all types. Time has never permitted me the luxury of indulging myself. I am a process knitter. I just have to do it. It feels necessary to me.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Art has always been very subjective to me. Two people can stand side by side and view a piece (of whatever) and rarely will they have an identical reaction to the item. One mans trash is another mans treasure. Jackson Pollack splatters paint. His process and the orchestration of his creation has value as well as the canvas he produces. You may hate it or you may love it.

Please do not misunderstand me. I am not comparing myself to any famous artist, author or designer. I do however identify with the need to participate in the process of creativity. Maybe that is why I have so many UFO's. Maybe, that is why I admire the knitter that finishes every project before embarking on the next one.

I want to finish every project I have on needles. At the same time, I feel compelled to start a new item. Maybe, I decide to learn a new technique. Maybe, a luscious yarn calls out that it must run through my fingers. I look at yarn and see what it will be. Yarn looks at me and says "Here she comes, again." It is a mutual attraction.

I also have a similar attraction to paper, fabric, beads, clay, photographs, paints, ink, pens ....

No comments: